Our body needs periodic detoxification to be rejuvenated and clared off toxins. Detoxification or the cleansing of blood is primarily done by removing impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymph and skin.
A detox program can help the body’s natural cleansing process by:
- Resting the organs through fasting;
- Stimulating the liver to drive toxins from the body;
- Promoting elimination through the intestines, kidneys and skin;
- Improving circulation of the blood; and
- Refueling the body with healthy nutrients.
Ways to Detoxify
- Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods.
- Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle, and drinking green tea.
- Take vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
- Drink at least four litres of water a day.
- Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system.
- Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes.
- Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate wastes through perspiration.
- Dry-brush your skin or try detox foot spas/foot baths to remove toxins through your pores. Special brushes are available at natural products stores.
- Last but not the least, Exercise. Yoga or jump-roping are good. Exercising for an hour every day is good. Qigong, a martial-arts based exercise system that includes exercises specifically for detoxifying or cleansing, and other exercises with health benefits can be tried too.