We depend on electricity to power our lights, appliances, and electronics in our houses. Many of us also use electricity to provide our homes with hot water, heat, and air conditioning. As we use more electricity in our daily lives, electric bills eventually increase. Efficient products and energy-saving strategies can help you save money and energy at your home. In addition to that, you can also explore how to use renewables to provide power for your home, either by buying clean electricity or by installing and operating a small home renewable energy system, like solar panels.
Here are some useful tips to do so.
- Avoid using the washing machine with less than its full capacity to save electricity & water. By doing this you will be saving both at the same time!
- Painting walls and ceilings with light colors improves lighting and reduces the need for extra artificial lighting.
- Natural lighting during the day is better and saves energy. Switch off the lights and leave the curtains open to allow sunlight in.
- As highlighted before, energy saving lamps last longer and save 80% of electricity consumption compared to incandescent lamps. Start using LED bulbs today and see the difference.
- Switching off unnecessary electrical appliances during peak hours (1 pm to 4 pm and 10 pm to 1 am) will reduce load on network and will help you avoid power cuts.
- Did you know that appliances that are plugged in keep using energy, even when they’re switched off? Even an appliance as small as a coffee pot can slowly sap energy every moment it stays plugged in, long after the last cup of coffee has been consumed. So, unplug any appliances that aren’t in use.
- When older appliances were manufactured, companies weren’t as concerned with saving electricity. Newer models are designed to conserve energy, reducing your household costs and lowering your carbon footprint. If you have an older refrigerator, electric stove and oven, washer and dryer, or other large appliance, look into getting it replaced.
These are small steps but yet very effective in making the difference and can keep your electricity bill low. Start today and be the change.