Extended Marichi‘s Pose (Utthitha Marichiasana)
Utthita = extended or stretched. Marichi = A great sage
Props Required :- Chair, Block
Organizing the Pose
- Place a chair with its back to the wall.
- Stand with your right hip at the wall, your left hip directly above the ankle and the foot pointing straight ahead, not turned out.
- Bend the right leg and place the right foot up on the seat of the chair.
- Link the thumbs, inhale and reach the arms up alongside the ears.
- Exhale and turn the trunk towards the wall and bring the arms into position. Bring the left hand to the right knee and the right hand to the wall.
- Lift and broaden both elbows. Roll the shoulders back and down away from the ears.
Inhale, lift and open the chest.
- Exhale and use the arms to sip the chest around. Keep the head centered over the chest. Hold this position for several breaths.
- Exhale and release.
- Repeat the pose on the second side, taking care to hold it for the same amount of time.
Use of Props
To raise the level of the knee of the bent leg you can place your foot on a block placed on the seat of the chair.
- Massages abdominal organs, including the liver and kidneys.
- Stretches the shoulders.
- Stimulates the brain.
- Relieves mild backache and hip pain.
- Strengthens and stretches the spine.
Neelanjana Bharadwaj – Yoga Expert