As we age, our skin loses moisture and elasticity, making it prone to wrinkles.
What are the types of wrinkles?
- Fine Lines: delicate fine lines on the face.
- Dynamic wrinkles: wrinkles in motion i.e. wrinkles appearing while making facial expressions.
- Static wrinkles: wrinkles at rest i.e. wrinkles always visible on the face.
How can one reduce wrinkles naturally?
There are simple ways by which one can reduce wrinkles on the face.
- Avoid the sun. Wear sunscreen if you will be outdoors and include UV protection as part of your morning regime.
- Get adequate sleep. Sleeping on your back also helps to avoid wrinkles.
- Don’t squint. Get reading glasses if required.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Use a moisturizer. Ageing skin feels and looks better when moisturizers are applied regularly. These improve the water-holding capacity of the skin. Choose a moisturizer that doesn’t sting or burn or provoke acne.
What is the medical line of treatment for wrinkles?
- FOR FINE LINES: Topical Creams: Retinoid, Vitamin C, Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Polypeptides.
- FOR DYNAMIC WRINKLES:
- Botox – It acts to minimise muscle activity, the effects last about three to twelve months.
- Fraxel Laser – It is used to treat wrinkled, sun-damaged and aging skin, as well as acne scars and stretch marks. This “fractional” treatment allows the skin to heal much faster. 3 – 5 treatments spaced 2 – 4 weeks apart are recommended.
- Pelleve – It is Non-Surgical Skin Tightening Technology for wrinkle reduction. 2-3 treatments spaced 4 – 6 weeks apart are recommended.
- Thermage Laser-It is a non-invasive procedure which offers skin tightening. It claims to tone and tighten sagging facial and neck skin. There is no downtime after Thermage, but maintenance treatment is necessary.
- Mesotherapy (eye / face) – Multivitamin injections are given to reduce wrinkles and under-eye bags.
- PRP (eye /face) – It is a procedure that involves withdrawing a patient’s own blood, processing it to produce ‘platelet-rich plasma’ (PRP), then re-injecting it to erase wrinkles and create a more youthful look. It is a safe procedure as the patient’s own blood (20 ml) is used to produce PRP.
- Dermabrasion – It is the process of surgically scraping the skin to help reduce the appearance of scars, wrinkles, pigmentation and pre-cancerous lesions.
- Microdermabrasion-Microdermabrasion is a far more superficial treatment.
- FOR STATIC WRINKLES
- Fillers- When a filler is injected, it acts like an inflated cushion to support the facial structure and tissues that may have lost volume or elasticity due to normal aging. It also brings water to the surface of the skin to keep it looking fresh and supple. The effect of fillers lasts about a year or two.
Michel De Montaigne quotes:
“Age imprints more wrinkles in the mind than it does on the face”