Bleeding from the nose often causes significant anxiety, not only in patients but also to the family. It is a common manifestation, and it looks worse than they are. Bleeding can range from mild spotting to a strong flow. The consequences can range from a minor annoyance to life threatening hemorrhage.
Causes of bleeding nose:
• Injury to the nose: most common cause
• Nose picking and forceful nose blowing
• Climate with dry, warm & low humidity air
• Nasal allergies
• Foreign bodies in nose especially in children
• Nasal and sinus infection
• Tumors of nose and sinuses
• Deviated nasal septum
• Hypertensive patients
• Patients on Aspirin, Analgesics, Warfarin, Clopidogrel
• Patients with some inherent bleeding disorders.
• Liver failure, kidney failure can present with bleeding nose.
Do not panic, most of the time the bleeding comes from the tip portion of the nose, so pinching the nose at least for 5 minutes usually relieves the bleeding. Sit and lean forward, breathe through your mouth. Avoid swallowing blood, if it’s coming through your throat. Spit the blood which is present in the mouth. Apply ice cubes wrapped in polythene bags or gloves over your nose, cheeks and forehead.
Even after all these measures if bleeding continues or if the bleeding is more into your throat, don’t hesitate to seek emergency medical attention.
Dr. Pradeep Divakaran
Bahrain Specialist Hospital Clinics, West Riffa