This pose is a gentle one to open the hips and chest and is a great time to focus on breathing or get into a heart opening meditation.
Props Required P:- 1x bolster, 2x blocks, 2xblankets /pillows, 1x strap
Organising the Pose
- Lean the bolster on a stack of blankets or blocks and place a couple of rolled blankets or pillows below each knee.
- From a seated position, on the floor, with the legs stretched out and back upright, recline yourself back on the propped up bolster with the feet together and knees dropped to the sides in butterfly legs.
- The strap can be looped behind the lower back, over insides of legs and around the feet. This allows complete relaxation without exerting effort to hold the feet together.
- Hold this pose, with closed eyes for 4-5 minutes for a grounding, relaxed feel.
Use of Props
If the legs are fully supported one could place a sandbag on the inner thighs to ground the legs.
- Increases blood circulation to the lower abdomen.
- Stretches the inner thighs.
- Increases the range of external rotation in the hips.
- Can improve digestion.
- Calms the nervous system.
This pose can be practiced even without props but when done with them it is deeply restorative and the perfect antidote to the level of stress we live with on a daily basis!
Neelanjana Bharadwaj– Yoga Expert