Supported head to knee pose is a deeply restorative forward bend which is relaxing and calming.
Props Required P:- 1x bolster, 2x blocks [place at the ends of the bolster to give more height], 2x blankets[ 1 for under the bent knee and the other for extra height if required]
Organising the Pose
1. Sit in Dandasana and bend the right leg, bringing the sole of the foot to touch the inner thigh of the left leg.
2. Keep the bolster, horizontally over two blocks at the ends and if required a blanket to raise the height. Keep a folded blanket beneath the folded right leg.
3. Bend forward from the root of the spine, placing the forhead over the pile in front. Keep both the arms on the pile or the floor as per comfort.
4. Hold the forward bend for 2-3 minute on either side. Make sure the head is fully supported.
5. Slowly come out of the pose by lifting the head and hands from the pile and extending the legs out to come into dandasana.
Use of Props
l Try increasing the height of the front pile by adding on a blanket,if there is lower back discomfort.
l Try placing a folded blanket below the buttocks, decreasing the amount of forward bend if any back issue.
1. It releases tension in the back, shoulders and chest.
2. Reduces stress, anxiety, fatigue and reduces menstrual symptoms.
3. Stimulates the liver and kidneys.
4.Stretches the spine, shoulders, hamstrings and groins.
Neelanjana Bharadwaj– Yoga Expert