[Viparita Karani Kriya]
There’s a general consensus among modern yogis that Viparita Karani or Legs up the Wall pose may have the power to cure whatever ails you.
Props Required P:- 1 bolster /1 or 2 thickly folded blankets
Organising the Pose
- Sit down with your support about 5 to 6 inches to your right side. Place a bolster or two folded blankets close to your waist so that they can support you when you lift upwards.
- Exhale and tilt your torso slightly towards the bolster while swinging your legs up against the wall for support.
- Allow your front torso to round gently as you tilt yourself backwards and lie down.Your prop should support your waist.
- Feel the stretch from your pubis to your shoulders. Keep your legs straight up.
- Release the base of your skull softening the stretch on your throat. Tilt your head without touching your chin to the sternum.
- Open your shoulder blades and rest your arms at your sides with the palms facing upwards.
- Keep the legs firm and straight releasing the weight of your torso feeling it deep in the back of your pelvis. Hold the pose for atleast 5 minutes.
Use of Props
l If you are very flexible you may use a higher support and be close to the wall, if not then the chosen support should not be too high and should be at a slight distance.
- Helps reduce inflammation and soreness in the abdominal area.
- Helps in circulating blood back to the heart thus detoxifying .
- It opens the chest area and so helps to breathe easily.
- Stretches the back muscles thus helps in treating back aches and also exercises the neck muscles.
Neelanjana Bharadwaj– Yoga Expert