The Supported Reclining Twist is a relaxing, restorative pose that can be practiced anytime, particularly when one has had a long, tiring day.
Props Required :-
1 bolster /1 or 2 thickly folded blankets, 2 blocks
Organising the Pose
- Sit down on the floor and extend your legs towards the front wall.
- Fold your legs placing your left leg over your right leg. Place a folded blanket or bolster between your knees in order to avoid compression of your hips.
- Place a bolster on the floor so that it vertically intersects your right hip.
- While you are still upright, shift your lower left waist to the right.
- Gently lay your torso down on the bolster.
- Turn your head to the left and rest it so that the right side of your head is touching the bolster.
Use of Props-
- Place one or more blankets between your thighs if you are feeling a strain in your hips.
- Place folded blankets on top of the bolster to support your torso.
- Use folded blankets or blocks to support your arms.
- Quietens the brain and relaxes the nervous system
- Reduces distress and anxiety
- Reduces tension in the muscles of the back, lateral sides and neck.
- This pose should be avoided if you have severe back problems or sacroiliac joint issue.
Neelanjana Bharadwaj– Yoga Expert