Supported Seated Forward Fold [Paschimottanasana]
The restorative version of the Seated Forward Fold, Paschimottanasana, is gentle, decreasing the risk of injury and increasing the benefits.
Props Required P:- 1 bolster /1 or 2 thickly folded blankets
Organising the Pose
- Sit down on a folded blanket placed beneath your hips to elevate them to initiate the pelvis to tip forward.
- Place a bolster over your thighs to rest your forehead on it as you fold forward from the hips.
- Don’t fold forward from the waiste instead initiate the movement from the hips and move the belly towards the thighs, resting it on the bolster.
- With each inhalation lengthen your torso and with each exhalation fold deeper.
- Be aware of your back body as the ribs move up towards the ceilin with inhalation and towards the floor with every exhalation.
- Stay relaxed in the pose for 3 -5 minutes, sinking in deeper with every breath.
Use of Props-
- Use folded blankets to elevate the hips and use as many as you want.
- For an easier version use a chair as you sit in front of it with the feet slid beneath it and forehead rested on the seat, either over crossed hands, the seat or folded blanket over the seat.
- Helps to turn the attention inwards and instill a sense of calm.
- Stretches the spine, shoulders, hamstrings.
- Stimulates the liver, kidneys, ovaries and uterus.
- Improves digestion.
- Reduces headaches, anxiety and fatigue.
Neelanjana Bharadwaj– Yoga Expert